Image Map

Sunday 1 September 2013

Happy Fathers Day!

It's Fathers Day today and it has me thinking about my anything but ordinary Dad.

I am not afraid to say, I am a Daddy's girl. We have very similar personalities, which means over the years when we have butt heads, Its been catastrophic. We still talk about the argument we had on the streets of Siem Reap, Cambodia, where we both went storming off in separate directions.. into separate pubs.



My Dad is an amazing speech writer. At my 21st and my wedding, his speeches were both touching and completely tongue in cheek. I think that sums up our relationship pretty well. We make take the mickey but we absolutely adore each other. One of my favourite moments of my wedding was not Dad walking me down the aisle.. though that was special, It was the Father/Daughter dance. We hijacked a Viennese waltz by kicking up our heels and doing the Time Warp.


My Dad has never doubted me. He has never told me I can't do something or that I am silly to try. I have come up with some pretty ridculous schemes over the years and not once has he tried to talk me out of it. He supports me, my brothers and our families endlessly. He is affectionate, smart and funny. He is a man I am proud to call my dad.

The other father in my life is my husband Jason. We fell into this whole parenthood thing pretty quickly, we were still getting to know each others quirks and flaws when we undertook the most challenging event in most peoples lives - becoming parents. From the moment that second line appeared on my home pregnancy test, Jason has been a dad. He loves his children so completely that sometimes just watching him with them makes me well up. Soppy I know, but that unconditional love he has for Leo and Zoe is exactly why I fell so deeply in love with him.


He smothers his children in kisses, He rolls up his sleeves and changes nappies and baths babies and toilet trains. He will go out of his way to do something to show us all how much he loves us each and every day.. even if its just to give mummy a sleep in and watch Despicable Me for the billionth time with Leo.


And so today I say thank you to my Dad and my little ones Dad. For loving me. For loving us. Happy Fathers Day.

 photo tiniest-sig_zpsb3cf0281.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, your post just made me cry. Your dad sounds like he is a great man. I lost my wonderful dad this year, and I miss him. I really think having a good dad helps us choose the right kind of man for our husband - and that's certainly the case with you. Those good times and wonderful memories will always mean so much. Enjoy spending time with your loved ones! (Thanks for your nice comment on my post, as well!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My husband lost his mum just after our son was born and I can see how hard it is not having a parent around. I can only imagine.

      Thank you so much for the return visit!
      x

      Delete
  2. This post is wonderful! My Dad and I have just about the same relationship and I am thankful everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a bit of a cliche about dads and their daughters but Mr Ever after and our baby girl had that connection from birth. I am so glad too.. It really is special.

      Delete